Basic SQL Interview Questions
This blog post has been created to cover basic SQL interview questions and answers and we will use questions related to SQL Server however most of them might be applicable to other database products.
For more information visit SQL Server Interview questions (collection of Q&A) or SQL Interview questions.
Tutorial: If you would like to learn more about SQL visit our SQL Tutorial
Certification: To get a quantification you can visit our exam guide for 98-364 Database Fundamentals and Exam guide for 70-461 Querying with SQL Server 2012 (this one requires more SQL skills and knowledge)
Questions with * are related to SQL Server or when I am not sure if the same behavior is in different products.
First part is theory SQL questions.
- What does SQL Stands for?
- Name all SQL Clauses in correct order and briefly describe them.
- What is the difference between WHERE and HAVING?
- How would you join multiple tables together in a query?
- Name all joins types you know and describe them.
- What is a subquery and a derived table?
- What is an aggregate function?
- Describe all types of aggregate functions you know.
- What is the difference between deterministic and non-deterministic functions?
- Describe Logical Query Processing.
1. What does SQL Stands for?
- SQL stands for Structured Query Language. For more info visit What is SQL?
2. Name all SQL Clauses in correct order and briefly describe them.
Did you find this page useful? +11