This blog post has been created to cover basic SQL interview questions and answers and we will use questions related to SQL Server however most of them might be applicable to other database products.
For more information visit SQL Server Interview questions (collection of Q&A) or SQL Interview questions.
Tutorial: If you would like to learn more about SQL visit our SQL Tutorial
Certification: To get a quantification you can visit our exam guide for 98-364 Database Fundamentals and Exam guide for 70-461 Querying with SQL Server 2012 (this one requires more SQL skills and knowledge)
Questions with * are related to SQL Server or when I am not sure if the same behavior is in different products.
First part is theory SQL questions.
- What does SQL Stands for?
- Name all SQL Clauses in correct order and briefly describe them.
- What is the difference between WHERE and HAVING?
- How would you join multiple tables together in a query?
- Name all joins types you know and describe them.
- What is a subquery and a derived table?
- What is an aggregate function?
- Describe all types of aggregate functions you know.
- What is the difference between deterministic and non-deterministic functions?
- Describe Logical Query Processing.
1. What does SQL Stands for?
- SQL stands for Structured Query Language. For more info visit What is SQL?
2. Name all SQL Clauses in correct order and briefly describe them.
3. What is the difference between WHERE and HAVING?
- Where filters rows. Having filters groups.
4. How can you combine two queries together which contain the same structure but cover different time period.
5. Name all joins types you know and describe them.
6. What is a subquery and a derived table?
- Subquery allows us to get single field values (or values) inside our main query (for instance where condition or select)
7. What is an aggregate function?
8. Describe all aggregate functions you know.
9. What is the difference between deterministic and non-deterministic functions?
- Deterministic means that you can work out the result and non-deterministic is that you are not able to work out the precise result.
10. Describe Logical Query Processing.
We need you!
Time of free websites that are supported by ads only is over, due to increasing use of ad blocking.
Our website would die probably within a year; as there is no point investing free time and later on own money in something that is doomed.
Our only hope to survive (without any ads) is to ask our visitors like yourself to support it by becoming a member.
We know it's only going to be a tiny % of visitors who will do that but we hope that will be enough to keep our website for free and within a year switch off all ads. (54% page ads are switched off already for visitors from low income countries and 15% video ads are switched off for everyone).
Become a proud member